Cat is block #22 of the Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt.
Cat’s corresponding letter goes through the first day of school and preparation. The enjoyment and fear of the next step in your life’s. I think this letter is fitting to the current time of year when we are closing the chapter on what happened in 2015 and what we anticipate for 2016.
I constructed Cat using the Marti Mitchell templates and a rotary cutter. I highly recommend using these templates as it made creating this block a lot easier.
For the benefit of constructing this block I have numbered each piece of the block in my pictures that represents the template number to be able to share how to construct the block.
I have chosen to create my Farmer’s Wife quilt using Liberty Tana Lawn
Why I chose these fabrics
I chose these fabrics to change and happiness with what lies ahead. The contrast between the blue and white creates a change but the floral continues the story through each fabric.
How to Construct Cat
-Cut out templates for Block #22 Cat as per the template CD or corresponding Marti Mitchell templates
-Following the instructions in the book cut the appropriate number of templates and colours.
-Iron each piece and layout in the block design.
– Start creating Cat by joining the 4 x C templates for each triangle. Start from the top left piece for Cat
– Chain piece each C piece starting with the leg C piece and building along the hypotenuse using a 1/4 inch seam and press seam. Continue for each C piece in the block
– Match each C Triangle with B piece – match seams together and pin to secure
– Sew using a 1/4 inch seam and press seam
-To complete the construction of your block work in 3 rows – Row 1 Take each block one at a time and match seams together and pin to secure
-Sew using a 1/4 inch seam and press seam, continue with the next block
-Repeat with Row 2 and 3. Pressing Seams to complete each row
-Take Row 1 and match seams with Row 2 – pin to secure and sew using a 1/4 inch seam and press seam
– Match seams with Row 3 – pin to secure and sew using a 1/4 inch seam and press seam
-Press entire block
-Congratulations you have completed Block #22 – Cat
The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W; RRP $28.99 – Click here to purchase.